Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Introduction and Presentation of Primary MSFT Learning

This component of the portfolio project includes two entries. Both are intended to provide the reader an introduction to the MSFT student and to the student’s overall learning experience across the whole of the graduate program.

The personal qualities and life experience of the MSFT student are provided in these documents to give individual context to the graduate training experience presented in the portfolio.

INTRODUCTION OF SELF BY PERSONAL LETTER AND RESUME

Education is not a preparation for life: Education is life itself. John Dewey

Thank you for your interest in my Student Portfolio of Graduate Preparation and Readiness for Professional Practice. John Dewey’s statement reflects a simple and practical approach to life through education. My approach mirrors that very basic idea. As you review and evaluate the following materials,it may be helpful for you to have some personal background information.

I obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English at Kansas State University in December of 1996, and attended one summer session course at Yale University in 1997 to further my education. You will note that I have spent a majority of my career in the field of education. It was there as a student that my life was greatly impacted and so it is there that I look to impact others.

My belief that our families of origin are the first relationships and the first community in which we are first influenced, led to my pursuit of my Master of Science in Family Therapy degree. Built on the "systemic thinking" that "we create each other" (Nelson,T., 2008), I believe that this advance degree has provided me with the strategies to empower others to create the lives (and relationships)for which they hoped and dreamed which in turn impacts the communities we build and support.

I have included my resume to provide you a glimpse of my experience and education. Following are a description of the program curriculum at Friend’s University. The Master of Science in Family Therapy provided rigorous coursework combined with the applied knowledge through practical clinical experience to successfully prepare me in facilitating in others sustainable change. Thank you for your interest in my work. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.